Thursday 17 July 2014

'When do we accept we have reached the end and can't play God?' Nelson Mandela's daughter Maki tells of the 'excruciating' time of her father's dying months

Nelson Mandela's daughter Maki said her father's final months were 'excruciating' as the former South African lead died. 
In the twelve months before his death, Mr Mandela's kidneys had failed and he was being kept alive by a ventilator. He was being fed by a tube into his stomach. 
She said her father's death in December as a relief because of the continued health struggles. 
Maki Mandela said her father's final months had been 'excruciating' to watch and his death was a 'relief' 
Maki Mandela said her father's final months had been 'excruciating' to watch and his death was a 'relief' 
Former South African President Nelson Mandela suffered kidney failure, was being kept alive with a ventilator and was being fed by a tube directly into his stomach in the months leading up to his death in December 
Former South African President Nelson Mandela suffered kidney failure, was being kept alive with a ventilator and was being fed by a tube directly into his stomach in the months leading up to his death in December 
Ms Mandela told CNN: 'There were times I was telling the doctors I think enough is enough'  
Ms Mandela told CNN: 'There were times I was telling the doctors I think enough is enough'  
In an exclusive interview with Robyn Curnow on CNN, Ms Mandela said: 'There were times I was telling the doctors I think enough is enough.
'As doctors they had their duty to try everything up to the last moment, but for me as a daughter it was excruciating watching that.'
Ms Mandela said her family was planning to open a memorial garden at her father's burial site so tourists will be able to pay tribute to the former ANC leader.
She said it was incredibly difficult watching her father's health deteriorate in the months leading up to his death.  
'I think for me having seen the way my father suffer the way he suffered, he was sick for a long time, it was a relief for me to see that we buried our father in a dignified manner and all went smoothly.
'When he breathed that last breath it was a relief to me. I couldn't take it anymore. There were times I was telling the doctors I think enough is enough. As doctors they had their duty to try everything up to the last moment but for me as a daughter it was excruciating watching that.
'I said "guys when do we accept that we have reached the end and we can't play God?" 
'He was in a wheelchair, already incontinent, for me the quality of life was not there, now he was bedridden. I did not understand why we had to prolong life.'
Mr Mandela, who spent 27 years in prison died in December aged 95.
Ms Mandela said many people have been in contact with the family asking whether they can visit her father's grave
Ms Mandela said people have been in contact with the family asking whether they can visit her father's grave

DM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...