Wednesday 9 July 2014

'My mom taught us we CAN have it all': Kim Kardashian wades into the age-old debate of balancing motherhood and a career as she says it all comes down to 'prioritising'

Hot on the heels of PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi's candid and controversial admission that she doesn't think women can have it all, Kim Kardashian has weighed in on the debate.
During an interview alongside sisters Kourtney and Khloé with CNBC's Closing Bell on Monday,
the mom-of-one was asked her thoughts on whether she believes women can raise a family and
have a successful career at the same time.
'I mean, I think that's just not really, like, a positive outlook,' she said of Nooyi's declaration that women simply 'pretend' they can have it all. 'My mom kind of taught us girls we could have it all.' 
'My mom taught us girls we could have it all': Kim Kardashian has weighed in on the age-old 'Can women really have it all?' debate a week after PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi's candid and controversial admission that women merely 'pretend' they can raise a family and have a successful career
'My mom taught us girls we could have it all': Kim Kardashian has weighed in on the age-old 'Can women really have it all?' debate a week after PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi's candid and controversial admission that women merely 'pretend' they can raise a family and have a successful career
While the 33-year-old is of course in the very fortunate position of having a multimillion-dollar empire, with her bulging bank account affording her the luxury of
hiring nannies to help with 12-month-old daughter North, and with a husband to share the load, she simply puts it all down to 'prioritising'.

'You know, [my mom] works hard. She taught us that if you work hard, it's just all about prioritising,' she continued.
'I think that, yeah, it could get tough after you have a baby. There are so many times when I just didn't want to get up and work on something and I just wanted to be home with my baby, but, for
me - and I think I can speak for my sisters - it makes us feel good when we are out working.'
She added: 'If anyone really feels like they can't do it all, I feel like it's a little bit discouraging to say that. Even if I couldn't and it wasn't possible, I would try. And I would, you know, try my best to do
it all.'
 
'My mom works hard. She taught us that if you work hard, it's just all about prioritising': While the 33-year-old admits she would 'so much rather spend time with my husband, my family and my baby than run around the world working for other people', she says it all comes down to 'prioritising'
'My mom works hard. She taught us that if you work hard, it's just all about prioritising': While the 33-year-old admits she would 'so much rather spend time with my husband, my family and my baby than run around the world working for other people', she says it all comes down to 'prioritising'

Speaking of her own priorities now that she's a mother and a wife to rapper Kanye West, Kim admitted that her outlook on what's important has shifted dramatically.
'You know, now that I'm married, I would so much rather spend time with my husband, my family and my baby than run around the world working for other people,' she declared.
Of course, the age-old 'Can women really have it all?' debate was once again brought to the forefront just last week, when Nooyi made her confession during a conversation with The Atlantic's David Bradley while appearing at the Aspen Ideas Festival.
The Indian-born mother-of-two readily admitted that she has chosen work over family.
'I don't think women can have it all. I just don't think so. We pretend we have it all. We pretend we
can have it all...' she began.
Honest admission: PepsiCo CEO and mom-of-two Indra Nooyi said a week earlier that she chose her career over her family, admitting, 'Every day you make a decision about whether you are going to be a wife or a mother. If you ask our daughters, I'm not sure they will say that I've been a good mom'
Honest admission: PepsiCo CEO and mom-of-two Indra Nooyi said a week earlier that she chose her career over her family, admitting, 'Every day you make a decision about whether you are going to be a wife or a mother. If you ask our daughters, I'm not sure they will say that I've been a good mom'

'Every day you have to make a decision about whether you are going to be a wife or a mother - in fact, many times during the day you have to make those decisions... We plan our lives meticulously so we can be decent parents. But if you ask our daughters, I'm not sure they will say that I've been
a good mom. I'm not sure.'
Less than two months earlier, Gwyneth Paltrow made a similar statement when she declared that regular working moms have it much easier than Hollywood actresses raising children.
'I think it's different when you have an office job, because it's routine and, you know, you can do all the stuff in the morning and then you come home in the evening,' she told E! News.
'When you're shooting a movie... you work 14 hours a day and that part of it is very difficult. I think
to have a regular job and be a mom is not as, of course there are challenges, but it's not like being on set.'
Out of touch: Less than two months prior, Gwyneth Paltrow angered a lot of people when she declared that raising children as a Hollywood actress was harder than being a regular working mom, saying, 'Of course there are challenges, but it's not like being on set'
Out of touch: Less than two months prior, Gwyneth Paltrow angered a lot of people when she declared that raising children as a Hollywood actress was harder than being a regular working mom, saying, 'Of course there are challenges, but it's not like being on set'

Unsurprisingly, her comments soon went viral, with everyone having an opinion - mostly negative.
Even fellow actress Angelina Jolie weighed in - slamming Gwyneth for her insensitivity while taking the side of the everyday working mom as she recognised the blessed and fortunate life she lives.
'I'm not a single mom with two jobs trying to get by every day. I have much more support than most people, most women in this world. And I have the financial means to have a home and health care and food,' she countered during an interview with The New York Post.
'When I feel I'm doing too much, I do less, if I can. And that's why I'm in a rare position where I don't have to do job after job - I can take time when my family needs it.'
The common touch: Angelina Jolie slammed her fellow actress's insensitive comments as she recognised the blessed and fortunate life she lives, saying, 'I'm not a single mom with two jobs trying to get by every day. I have the financial means to have a home and health care and food'
The common touch: Angelina Jolie slammed her fellow actress's insensitive comments as she recognised the blessed and fortunate life she lives, saying, 'I'm not a single mom with two jobs trying to get by every day. I have the financial means to have a home and health care and food'

DM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...