Monday 30 September 2013

Days after Jada Pinkett Smith admits she battled addictions, now her step father reveals guilt at being high on cocaine in front of her when she was aged eight

Jada Pinkett Smith sent out shock waves when she admitted in a Facebook post on September 19 that she had suffered from 'addictions'.
On Monday her troubled past came into focus again when her former stepfather, Baltimore-based lawyer Warren A. Brown, told website Celebuzz he used cocaine in the late '70s and early '80s with Jada's mother, Adrienne Banfield Jones, when the star was only aged eight.
'At times I felt guilty,' confessed Warren, who did not return calls to MailOnline.
Mother and daughter: Jada Pinkett Smith in 2004 with her mother Adrienne Banfield Jones who has admitted to drug use when she was married to Warren A. Brown
Mother and daughter: Jada Pinkett Smith in 2004 with her mother Adrienne Banfield Jones who has admitted to drug use when she was married to Warren A. Brown
She declared that when she was young, she was 'not a good problem solver, meaning I had a very difficult time with dealing with my problems in life. I had many addictions, of several kinds, to deal with my life issues.'
She added, 'Today, at 42, I have my wisdom, my heart and my conscience as the only tools to overcome life's inevitable obstacles.' She then said, 'I have become a good problem solver with those tools, and I am damn proud.'
Staying strong: The mother of two with (from left) her stepson Trey, daughter Willow, son Jaden and husband Will in May
Staying strong: The mother of two with (from left) her stepson Trey, daughter Willow, son Jaden and husband Will in May
Some of those problems could have been caused by Brown, who reportedly feels he didn't serve as the best example for the young Jada.
'I remember just the three of us in the house together and I knew I was high and so was her mother,' he admits.
'She didn’t know though, she was too young to recognize it. She didn’t see us doing anything.'
Warren goes on to say he felt bad about it because he thought, 'This little girl deserves better than her parents addicted.'
Her former stepfather adds that Jada was 'a sweet little girl' and they were 'very close.'
The lawyer also points out that Jada's mother couldn't be around much.
'It was me and Jada,' he confesses.
'I was raising her while her mother was working and in college. We spent a lot of time together.'
Facing her past: During her September 19 Facebook post, the celebrity revealed she had 'addictions' but now has the 'tools' to overcome any 'obstacles'
Facing her past: During her September 19 Facebook post, the celebrity revealed she had 'addictions' but now has the 'tools' to overcome any 'obstacles'
But when he divorced the Hawthorne star's mother in 1986, he got remarried and didn't look back.
'My new wife asked that I distance myself from her,' he adds.
All of a sudden, Jada - whose birth father is Robsol Pinket Jr. (who died in 2010) - didn't have a father figure around.
'It was a sudden departure for Jada, and it was always just the two of us,' he confessed.
And he feels guilty about leaving, even to this day.
'Anyone who knew of our relationship would not disagree that my estrangement with her may have played a part.'
His past with Jada weighs heavy on him.
'It’s difficult to feel guilty,' he told Celebuzz.
'I don’t really blame myself, but I think about a couple things. I question that if I had not divorced myself from them, whether or not she would have fallen into addictions.'
And if he had been around he thinks he 'may have witnessed it and been able to pull her out of it.'
Rocking out: The actress also likes to sing, which she did here in August at the Afro Punk Festival in New York
Rocking out: The actress also likes to sing, which she did here in August at the Afro Punk Festival in New York
Jada was eight when her mother married Warren in 1979.
The star's mother Adrienne admitted in June during the web series Red Table Talks with her daughter and granddaughter that she was on drugs until Jada was about 18 years old
She also revealed she got pregnant with Jada when she was only 12 years old.
'I don't look at the experience that we had as bad,' Jada has said.
'I turned all of that into power. So I used those things as motivation.'
Jada seems to now have the stability she never had a child with the family she's created for herself.
She has been married to actor Will Smith since 1997 and they have two children, Willow, 12, and Jaden, 15.
Jada, who has been busy with her singing career lately, left her birthday post with a positive note.
'What I hope is that we all continue to gain healthy understanding that life is really about, solving problems, and also about us learning to become masters at solving them,' she typed.
She took to her computer again on Saturday when she posted a photo of herself, looking pretty in a white tank top and pulled back hair, with husband Will and her stepson Trey Smith.
'The handsome two and I about to roll through the beautiful swamps of Louisiana with Willow and Jaden as well,' she wrote.
'It was an amazing day, and I feel so lucky to have a beautiful family to have shared it with. Happy Saturday.'
On a family holiday: The Hawthorne actress with her husband Will and stepson Trey in a Saturday Facebook post
On a family holiday: The Hawthorne actress with her husband Will and stepson Trey in a Saturday Facebook post

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...